Family Relations

The Miles Family

A lot of family events have taken place this summer, so I’ll highlight a couple of them here.

Marissa Smiled Alot

Marissa Gregg, my lil-sil, graduated from high school in May. Thus begins the long, arduous, painful process of learning how much alcohol you can tolerate. I mean, “college”. Holli and I travelled down to help with the celebration by arranging plates of cake in neat, ordered rows. I’ll be honest, helping to run the graduation party felt a little like being part of The West Wing or Studio 60 or Sports Night. You’ll just have to trust me on that one. Still, everything went well, and there was plenty of soda and sub sandwiches for everyone.

Bryce and Lindsey Cut Trees and Changed Diapers

Even with the economy the way it is, and their work schedules, they were able to make it out to our area just before July 4th. It just so happened, that was the weekend we all helped out Grandma, so it was a mini-reunion. While it involved a lot of hauling branches, stacking wood, painting, cleaning, and just general grunt work, we still managed to discuss Bryce’s unique work frustrations and to give our cousin, Tom, some girl advice. Plus, Bryce almost sold a monument.

We didn’t get to see Lindsey nearly as much, seeing as she was spending time with her family, too. When we did get to see her, it also gave us a chance to meet the newest member of her parents’ family, a dachshund. The dog was cute, made cuter by the tiny diaper she was wearing. Why was she wearing a human infant’s diaper? Because she was menstruating. Oh, good. Thankfully, the diaper had a tendency to come off, so we all got a chance to help out with putting a human diaper on a small, struggling wiener dog.

It’s always good to see them, and it’s a shame that we can’t see them more often. If necessary, I could become a world famous serial killer in the Sioux Falls area, allowing Lindsey the chance to crack her first big case as she explores the underworld of The Queen City, Sioux Falls (which would allow them to move closer). The offer’s out there. I’m willing.

Everybody Carried Something

If you were, for whatever reason, in the Sioux Falls area around July 4th, we probably asked you to help us move. The first day of moving was greatly aided by fellow L&Ser, Dave Haan, and his daughter, and uncle Kevin, whose truck was the greatest benefit. We actually managed to get a lot accomplished, just three guys with a truck and a morning to kill. That night was a major second round of packing, using the boxes we’d just unloaded, and saturday the parents came down with a trailer. On Saturday, everything was moved in in time for lunch. Clockwork, people. That’s what it was like.

Molly Watched Baseball

I was pleasantly surprised to get a call from my cousin, Molly Brass. She was in Lennox for only a couple more days, and she wondered if we could get together. It had just so happened that Holli and I were going to be attending a Canaries baseball game and were able to get an extra ticket for her. So, we watched a little baseball. Mostly, we caught up, learning about the inner drama of working at a museum. Apparently, she sees Mark Walberg, like, all the time.

After the game, we came back to the house we were then renting and showed her around. Then we talked again until she had to leave. It was great to see her, especially all the way from Boston. If she didn’t have her parents in Lennox, we probably would only see her at reunions. If Jenny Brass keeps this London stuff up, that’ll be what happens to her. Hint, hint.

David, Houa, and Brenna Rode The Mexican Train

Holli and I decided to have a little house-warming get-together with friends, and, at first, it seemed that we would be hanging out alone. Then we got word that Mike and Sonja could come. Then David and Houa were coming. Then Brenna Proczko was going to be in town. Before we knew it, it was a hopping party once again.

We played board games (barf), gave tours (awesome!), and ended the night with dominos, which Mike and Sonja brought.  The game of dominos rounded out our night (well beyond when Holli usually goes to bed) as it takes about twelve rounds to finish. However, it was good fun, no one was seriously injured, and the police gave us a warning instead of a second strike. Mike and Sonja left and the rest of us tried to get connected to the Internet.

The next day, Brenna showed and narrated over pictures of her honeymoon to Iceland and England. I believe she has at least a portion of them up on Facebook, so if you’re friends with her, you can check them out. Otherwise, just know that they were awesome, and we saw dragons and waterfalls, they bought really expensive lobster bisque. Holli went to work, then David and Houa headed back, then Brenna and I talked for a while, and then she headed back, and then I was all by myself, and I pictured what it would be like to meet a dragon, and then Holli came home from work.

(I didn’t know how to end that. Just know that it was awesome seeing Brenna and David and Houa.)

The Miles Family Reuned

It has been ages since the last Miles Family Reunion. They used to occur quasi-regularly, but then my great-grandmother died, and things became much more sporadic. Now (hopefully) there is a revival in place. This year’s reunion was held in Maple Grove, Minnesota, which is in the Twin Cities area, Minneapolis-side. Holli and I drove up on Friday and checked into a Venice-themed Holiday Inn. It was one of the nicest Holiday Inns I’ve ever slept within.

The actual reunioning took place at the Acorn Shelter in some national park or whatever in the area. The plan for the day was as broad as “eat and talk”, and that’s exactly what we did. Eventually, food was cooked and then consumed. Holli joined a substantial volleyball game which I helped to coach. “Cyber Fox” made impressive progress against “Cyber Wolf” (the copy cats), until Coach Faletti went in to help his team. How can I compete with that? I can only yell so loud. Holli ended up with a fairly bruised forearm from that game, an injury painful enough that she “couldn’t drive home”.

Eventually the evening came upon us. Holli and I hit up Target and met up with everyone at the hotel. The kids went swimming whilst the adults sat around and talked. Then a tornado was spotted, so Dad and I had one last drink while everyone cowered for their lives in the hallways. When I see bad weather, I say, “Lay your head upon my sweet Crown Royal,” and drink up. Or, at least, I did this one time.

The next day we attended mass at great uncle Dick’s church, which was much more “modern” than I had assumed. Great uncle Dick told me a number of times about how he almost made the trip to our wedding. Afterwards, many enjoyed a chicken dinner, but Holli and I had a long drive home. We stopped a couple of times to kill vagrants, but it’s still a long drive. I think Amber and Jill did a great job getting the family together.

Hopefully we can keep the family reunions going. Just as long as I don’t have to do anything.

4 Replies to “Family Relations”

  1. I found this post enthralling. I seriously wish I could say I were joking. You are a very enjoyable writer, M!les. At least, the writing you write is enjoyable. Glad you had a good summer with your family. Also glad you shared it on here.

    Hope your arm is all better by now Holli. Also, how come you don’t spell your name Holl!? JW. (That’s shorthand for “just wondering.”)

    1. How come you don’t spell your name “M!ke”? For one, I find the [Letter][Exclamation Mark] pairing to be awkward if the letter isn’t lowercase, hence “m!les” as much as possible. If I see it was “M!LES” it looks ridiculous, and I cry for hours. Also, the “!” for an “i” thing is, like, my Internet thing, so back off. Also, Thanks for commenting!

  2. Whatever. I think it’s stupid. And if I weren’t so jealous, I’d make fun of you for it all the time. Sorry M!LES.

    Hope you don’t cry for hours, sucka.

    Also, good point, Holl. I’m sure you don’t need the ! in yours. I should’ve never suggested it.

Comments are closed.